I'm not sure but I think Chris fell out of the wrong side of the bed this
morning.  His comments below seem somewhat relevant to the content
of the article that Beth provides a link to but without more information
about the students the article writer is talking about, it is unclear
whether Chris' criticism's apply to all American students of a certain
race and class or to some fraction of them (the author of the article
is unlikely to have such data as she self-identifies as a teacher of
rhetoric and history and not a researcher).

I think Chris' rant is somewhat misplaced.  The general issue that
he is referring to is that of "American exceptionalism", a concept
that is easy to recognize but difficult to pin down.  For some background
on this "idea" see the Wikipedia entry (standard disclaimers apply):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_exceptionalism

The "idea" appears to be first developed by Alexis de Tocqueville in
his "Democracy in America" and here's a website that provides a
little more on how Tocqueville conceived it:
http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/courses/ed253a/american-exceptionalism.htm

American exceptionalism has been an idea that has been recently
promoted by U.S. conservatives and downplayed by moderates and
liberals.  Consider the following comments by Dick Cheney about
President Obama being "weak" on American exceptionalism:

|I think most of us believe, and most presidents believe and talk
|about, the truly exceptional nature of America--our history,
|where we come from, our belief in our constitutional values
|and principles, our advocacy for freedom and democracy, the
|fact that we've provided it for millions of people all over the globe
|and done so unselfishly. There's never been a nation like the
|United States of America in world history. And yet, when you
|have a president who goes around and bows to his host and
|then proceeds to apologize profusely for the United States,
|I find that deeply disturbing. That says to me this is a guy who
|doesn't fully understand or share that view of American exceptionalism
|that I think most of us believe in.
http://politics.theatlantic.com/2009/12/is_dick_cheney_living_in_a_pre-2008_world.php

For other conservative viewpoints on American Exceptionalism, see:
http://www.american.com/archive/2008/april-04-08/understanding-american-exceptionalism

Now, whether or not U.S. citizens have a sense of American Exceptionalism
and whether this is the basis for bad behavior among certain groups of
students is an interesting empirical hypothesis.  However, Kara Miller's
article is an opinion piece and not an empirical study.  How many problems
could a student in research methods find in the assertions she makes about
"her American students"?  Perhaps she is a magnet for lazy American
students or her courses or her school or...whatever.  Miller is entitled
to her opinions about her students as is Chris is entitled to his opinions
about U.S. citizens.  But opinions are still opinions.  It is better to have
opinions consistent with empirical facts but everyone is well aware that
this not a requirement.  Sometimes an opinion is just a rant.

Happy Solstice, Y'all!

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu