I asked for your impressions of the methods and statistical analyses of the
prayer/in-vitro-fertilization study at
http://www.reproductivemedicine.com/Features/Feature.htm

In response, Stephen Black wrote:

> After you strip away the bells and
> whistles, it's actually a simple study, and the results are
> clear. You can't argue with pregnancy as an objective indicator
> of success.  I even checked their statistical test of a
> difference between two proportions. It all checks out, and I
> can't find the slightest flaw.

This was my conclusion, too, although I did not give the study the thorough
examination that Stephen apparently did.

> If the outcome isn't a result of design flaws, what then? One of
> the usual two: fraud or incompetence.

This, of course, is possible. But various "chance" factors are also possible.
In particular, random assignment may not have been successful in distributing
important extraneous variables equally between the prayer and nonprayer groups.
For example, the authors stated that "in randomization of the 25 women <30
years..., there were more women (n=19) in the prayer group." Since the authors
also mentioned that pregnancy rates generally are higher in IVF-ET treatment of
younger women, this would have raised the pregnancy rates in the prayer group.
(On the other hand, they also mentioned that praying "worked better" in older
women: more pregnancies in those who were prayed for than those who were not.
Thus, this apparent deviation from randomization would not explain the
findings.) My point is that fraud and incompetence are possible explanations;
but there is also the possibility that "chance" alone could explain the
difference.

Paul Smith wrote:

>most couples who are motivated enough to use an IVF clinic
>are already praying for a pregnancy, and have been for some time.

Of course, if you read the study again, you will notice that the people who are
praying for the patients to have a successful procedure are themselves being
prayed for. That is, another group of people are praying for the first group to
help them to be more successful prayers!!!  Thus, perhaps their prayers are
more likely to be answered??!!

Stephen Black wrote:

> I doubt that hardly any clinic anywhere is going
>to make use of this startling new finding. Why?
>Because no one will believe it.

On this, I will have to respectfully disagree. I think that there are many
people who will believe these findings. The fact that the study was done at all
is due to the fact that there is a vocal group of medical practitioners who
advocate such things. Complementary and alternative medicine--which includes
interventions such as the manipulation of "human energy fields," homeopathy,
and herbal products--is promoted by more than a small number of medical
practitioners. I predict that we will hear quite a bit about this study's
results in the near future.

Jeff

--
Jeffry P. Ricker, Ph.D.          Office Phone:  (480) 423-6213
9000 E. Chaparral Rd.            FAX Number: (480) 423-6298

Listowner: Psychologists Educating Students to Think Skeptically (PESTS)
http://www.sc.maricopa.edu/sbscience/pests/index.html