Hi

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, James Guinee wrote:
> I just love the anti-religious bias that is so prevalent in
> psychology!

There are many things that scientific psychologists are against:
sloppy designs, inappropriate statistics, faulty conclusions,
careless reasoning, promoting theories that are false, basing
practice on intuition rather than sound evidence, and so on.
Psychologists being against something is not sufficient reason to
conclude that this represents a bias (if by that one means an
unwarranted predilection) or that it is inappropriate.  I do not
think that it would be easy to determine whether being "against
religion" is like the above examples or better characterized as
some sort of prejudiced bias.

Moreover, I think that most scientists (not necessarily me) would
be quite happy to leave religion alone if religion (or more
properly its supporters) did not intrude itself into places where
it properly does not belong (e.g., journals on reproduction,
science classrooms).  I don't know of anyone who has funded an
anti-religion campaign to compare with the Templeton Foundation
attack on science.  Science may do damage to religion, but it is
largely an inadvertent consequence of developing more correct
models of the world (and increasingly of human beings), models
that happen to conflict with some older ideas proposed by
religious groups.

> Guess the ethics canon about respecting differences doesn't
> apply to religion.

Numerous replies inhibited (given this is the Tips list).

> This is a typical criticism of God -- He is expected to stay
> the heck out of our lives, our bedrooms, our classroom -- but
> boy He better show up when the poop hits the fan.

Do you really believe that people who do not believe in god are
serious that he should have intervened?  They were simply
pointing out how selective appeals to god by believers tend to
be.  Something your response nicely demonstrates.  Believers get
to choose when they think that god has intervened, generally in
favor of a benevolent god.  I am sure that many survivors of the
WTC and other disasters are grateful for divine intervention on
their behalf, but there is nothing that needs to be explained.
If they had not survived, others would have, and many of them too
would feel grateful.

Out of interest, is there a psychological literature on whether
people tend to become more convinced of god when they have their
mortality threatened?

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark