Hi

I'll take Louis's questions in a somewhat different order, and
then ask some of my own.

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Louis_Schmier wrote:

> Second, what is learning?

Learning is a relatively permanent change in behaviour (including
thinking behaviour) due to experience and not other causes (e.g.,
senility).  Psychologists have devoted considerable time and
energy to trying to understand learning.

> First, how does a grade document any level or degree of learning?

In principle, a grade can reflect many such changes in behaviour,
including: (a) ability to solve problems, (b) being able to argue
effectively for and against positions, (c) having the competency
to commmunicate clearly and effectively, (d) demonstrating
sensitivity to subtle emotional or cognitive cues in text, (e)
being able to read complex material and both understand and
remember what one has read, and so on pretty much endlessly.

> Fifth, how is inflation to be defined?  What are its determining measures?

Inflation is measured when there appears to be some increase in
the grades received without evidence of a corresponding increase
in the material learned.  In extreme cases, lower performance on
the many potential dimensions, as partially listed above, might
be associated with higher grades.

> Third, what is subject mastery?

It is possible in many areas to set some threshold of knowledge
above which someone is prepared to function effectively in that
area.  Often in educational settings, this threshold is lower at
lower grade levels on the assumption that "true" or
"final" mastery is something that cannot be determined until the
end of the program.  But there are steps along the way that need
to be mastered if one hopes to arrive at the end point.

> Fourth, where are the universal criteria for grading in any
> institution?

Here is the rub.  In a properly functioning educational system,
people who become professors would have demonstrated themselves
that they had acquired certain competencies, largely related to
critical thinking, clear communication, ability to discriminate
between sense and nonsense, and the like.  And they would try to
apply these competencies to teaching and evaluation, unfettered
by irrelevant considerations, such as politics, compassion, and
the like.  (Note: it is not that they lack such feelings as
compassion for students, but that they recognize that the proper
use of these feelings is to motivate them to help students learn
the material, not to award grades that do not reflect student
understanding or to otherwise evade their responsibilities as
educators).  At least in some people's minds, including a bit my
own, there appear to be influences from outside and within
academia that encourage less rigorous expectations of
students, although others have argued that the quality of work
has not deteriorated and perhaps even as increased over the
decades.  Just one of the pressures is more liberal grading
practices in some departments than others.

I'm aware the whole story is more complicated than I have
presented here, but neither is it nearly as bleak and stark as
Louis's questions would suggest.

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark