Hi

Although the debate is officially over, just one short comment:

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > To my way of thinking, the professor was the most courageous
> > person in that room.
>
> The professor was courageous?  That's very interesting.  I don't consider it
> courageous at all for someone in a position of power to insult, ridicule, and
> belittle the values, beliefs, and experiences of those who have no power.  I
> consider it intolerant, unethical, and just plain mean.

Saying that someone is courageous for a particular act does not,
to my knowledge, imply agreement with how they acted in every
respect.  I was referring simply to his speaking out publicly
against religious beliefs, which are often viewed as sacrosanct
in our institutions and cultures.  There was a newspaper or
magazine article to that effect on TIPS or the PESTS lists
sometime in the past year.

> Still, thank you for that particular comment.  It really helped me to
> understand much more clearly where you are coming from.

Reactions such as this probably help to explain why people (and
students?) are reluctant to speak out against academics or others
with a religious agenda.  Janis probably has a term for it.

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark