Marc wrote:

> The cost of living is definitely going to play a role... hence Tasha
> getting $2750/course as an adjunct in LA (if I'm remembering
> people, $, and places correctly.) The cost of living issues apply
> across the board, teachers in area with low cost of living get paid
> less than those that live in a high COL area.

        Not always. Ann Arbor, Michigan (home of the UM) has one of the
highest COLs in the USA--yet the pay for an adjunct at Washtenaw
Community College (Ann Arbor is in Washtenaw County) is only slightly
higher than it is in the Jackson area where the cost of living is far
lower. Even Eastern Michigan University, a large research institution,
pays an adjunct who teaches what would normally be considered a full
time load far less than would be earned by a k12 teacher in the same
community--by a factor of at least two!

        Adjuncts, like all "part time help" are stereotyped as either
Grad students who are gaining teaching experience or working
professionals supplementing their salaries by teaching a few courses.
Those of us who entered the field with the expectation (and promise) of
full time teaching posts in the future are completely disregarded when
the time comes to determine salaries; we're effectively "invisible" when
needs are considered.

        Rick

--

Rick Adams

Department of Social Sciences
Jackson Community College
Jackson, Michigan

". . . and the only measure of your worth and your deeds will be the
love you leave behind when you're gone." --Fred Small