In my research methods course students have collected data so that they
can compute one simple correlation (n=180). Both questions are on
5-point scales. I want them to plot the data to see if it looks like
there is a correlation. However, a simple scatter plot is uninformative
because there is at least one subject who is reporting every combination
on the 2 questions (so the scatterplot looks like a grid). Is there some
way of plotting the data so that the "dots" are bigger when there are
many cases. Or maybe one needs an entirely different plotting strategy.
I use SPSS. Help?

--
Tasha R. Howe, Ph.D