In a message dated 11/16/2001 5:51:52 AM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

But I think that one piece of advice would be to make yourself stand out.
Be the one temp who tried to get a little research done while you're still a
temp.  Be the temp who spends lots of extra hours on campus advising
students, attending meetings, etc.  Do not expect to make an impact if you
simply teach your courses and leave for the day.

I think the adjunct needs to be careful about where he or she is willing to invest this extra time, especially since giving these "freebies" results in a real loss of income gained by teaching classes at other schools. Income that is of course necessary to make a decent living. It's not a trivial sacrifice.

At one school where after I'd been teaching 3 years, attending department meetings, and giving other free service in hopes of being recognized the division Dean had to threaten the full time faculty with loss of pay to keep (some of) them from blowing off the single faculty meeting required of them during the semester. I sadly realized that all my extra work wasn't going to amount to a rat's behind and in fact might be viewed as a threat to the generally complacent and passive department ethos.

All of this advice might be good some of the time and at some of the places, but I think (without getting back into the melee) the odds are still against most honest, hard-working adjuncts/temps.

Nancy Melucci
LACCD