At 08:44 AM 11/16/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>Type "balkwill" and "music" into www.google.com and you will get
>lots of hits.  Laura Balkwill was an undergraduate here and went
>on to do graduate studies in music and psychology at York
>University in Toronto, Ontario, Canada (aside ... By my reading
>of the new APA guide, Toronto is not a major enough city to avoid
>having to give the provincial affiliation.  Same for
>Montreal).  Her publications include one on affect.
>
>Her advisor appears to be someone named Thompson, who has done
>considerable work in this area.
>
>There appears to be quite a bit of contemporary work in this
>area.

Jim:

Thanks much for the lead. I'm going to have my student follow up on it.
(Actually, I already checked it out, and think there are some things there
that we haven't seen yet.)

You're right in that there is a pretty good empirical literature on emotion
and music, looking at a variety of a variety of structural characteristics
of music (tempo, rhythm, pitch, etc.). But we've had a devil of a time
finding anything looking strictly at key and emotional. (Is A major a
"happier" key than D major?)

I'll let you know what we find.

Cheers!

Bob