Hi Y'all,

David Epstein wrote:

> If you broaden your search to the remainder of the Tanakh, you can
> find this:
>
> http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/Bible/Daniel12.html

PSYCH-FREE (a more psych-related discussion below):

Of course, I was responding to what was written about the Torah and not
the Neviim or Ketuvim (Daniel is one of these).  And in discussing the
Tanakh in general, we could extend this discussion further with the
various possible interpretations of the texts based on evaluation of the
Hebrew (the vowels are omitted in Hebrew leading some very different
readings of the text).

If one includes all of Jewish writings beyond the Torah, one will find
almost every opinion represented from simply dead to afterlife to
reincarnation to . . .    However, when discussing Judaism grounded
principally in the Torah, one does not find notions related to an
afterlife and it is certainly not a mainstream belief.  As Dr. Black
pointed out, Judaism focuses principally on one's current life and
existence.

However this is not a Judaism discussion list.  To bring it back to the
original point of my first post:

When conducting research and making statements about research,
individuals need to use care to be explicit about their hypotheses,
carefully define their terms, and be specific about their operational
definitions.  To use the term religion and make broad sweeping
statements without specificity runs counter to science.

/./

> > >                               % of world population
> > >                                 (1)    (2)    (3)
> > >
> > > Christians                      33.7    33     33
> > > Muslims                         19.2    22     20
> > > Nonreligious                    14      14     19 (inc atheists)
> > > Hindus                          13.7    15     13
> > > Buddhists                        5.7     6      6
> > > Jews                             0.2    <1%    <1%
> >
> > Of course, how are these statitics generated?  What is the sampling
> > technique?  How are the questions phrased?  etc.  As there may be
> > political reasons (fear of imprisonment or death if a particular or any
> > religion is named) or economic reasons (much needed funds for survival
> > gained if particular religion named), these statistics are often highly
> > inaccurate.
>
> How wide a margin of error are you suggesting?

This is certainly a problem in and of itself and why we should be
careful when presenting statistics as facts.  The margin of error is
unknown.  If we simply look at China with its extensive population and
its governmental repression of religious beliefs, we can see the
difficulty in sampling.

Also, within what are described as the major religions as listed in the
above polls sited, there is also diversity.  So the phrasing of the
questions may cause problems with how individuals answer the questions.
If we look at other countries in Asia (such as Indonesia) or in Africa,
we will find some very interesting blends of religion.  Thus, in East
Timor for example, the predominate religion is a blend of various
animistic belief systems and Catholicism.  However, Catholicism is
recognized as an official organization and thus able to distribute
relief, education, etc.  Thus, I'm sure how one answers the question of
religion depends on who and the circumstances of being asked.
Statistics range from 50 to 75
(http://www.dep.org.uk/globalexpress/editions/et.html ) to 90
(http://www.timoraid.org/timortoday/html/about_east_timor.htm ) percent
of the population being defined as Catholic.  And there may be other
sources of data that further extend those ranges.  These definitional
difficulties exist for many countries with a variety of hybrid religions
resulting principally from colonization.

Certainly, I don't think anyone would argue that statistics should be
taken at face value without an analysis of the underlying methodology
and various validity concerns.  Additionally, I don't think anyone on
this list would argue with the idea that we should carefully define
hypotheses and variables when conducting or evaluating research.  Why
should we toss out this value of critical thinking when discussing
research or statistics concerning religion?

Linda

Linda M. Woolf, Ph.D.
Book Review Editor, H-Genocide
Associate Professor - Psychology
Coordinator - Holocaust & Genocide Studies,
Center for the Study of the Holocaust, Genocide, and Human Rights
Webster University
470 East Lockwood
St. Louis, MO  63119

Main Webpage:  http://www.webster.edu/~woolflm/