Jim and others:

Chuck Huff wrote:

> At 3:42 AM -0500 10/11/01, jim clark wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >My honours stats class is doing a research project this term on
> >Beliefs About Social Science (e.g., accept validity of scientific
> >research with humans, believe that such research has practical
> >value, ...).  I'm curious what variables those "Teaching in the
> >Psychological Sciences" think would predict positive or negative
> >Beliefs About Social Science?
> >

> I would recommend
>
> the Altmeyer & Hunsberger scale of religious fundamentalism
> a scale of ideology on the liberal-conservative spectrum
> Lerner's Just World Scale

    There is another religiosity scale that may be of interest - (desrcibed
in Rohrbaugh and Jessor
(1975) "Religiosity in youth: A personal control against deviant behavior"
_Journal of Personality_
43, p. 136 - 155). Unlike Altmeyer & Hunsberger, it's not designed to tap
fundamentalism.

    Anecdotal evidence suggests that undergraduate major (excluding
psychology, which you _expect_ to
be sympathetic to social science research!) will be a factor. The "hard
science" people might be skeptical
of social science.
    This topic has some interesting challenges. Different groups may be
critical of social science for
completely different reasons. Fundamentalists might be critical because
social science is too
scientific, while biologists think it's not scientific enough (as they see
it). Since
this is exploratory research, you might want to encourage structured
interviews prior to formal data
collection (they can do content analysis on the results).

John W. Kulig                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Psychology             http://oz.plymouth.edu/~kulig
Plymouth State College               tel: (603) 535-2468
Plymouth NH USA 03264                fax: (603) 535-2412
"What a man often sees he does not wonder at, although he knows
not why it happens; if something occurs which he has not seen before,
he thinks it is a marvel" - Cicero.