thanks--it seems like you really *had* to deal with the issue directly and did!
It seems to have helped.

I particularly liked the APA source for the article that Diana sent us because
it fit so nicely with what my students are going through. They were already a
bit on edge--mostly seniors--looking at a very dismal job market--and then all
of the on-going trouble and turmoil, so it all come together to sap them of
their concentration and attention.

Of course it doesn't hurt that we had just finished the attention and STM
chapters in our cognitive class and had done the posner covert attention task at
psychexpts.olemiss.edu so that the article was much more understandable--it
actually helped in two ways: assured that any feelings of distraction are
"normal" and encouraged them that they were learning because they could
understand the experimental paradigm the article was based on!

So all in all it's good to back in tipsville--now if only I could mamange my
mail better :-)

Annette

Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> I teach in a high school in Queens.  The day of  the attack, we
> discussed
> what had happened (I teach the last two periods) and provided some
> coping
> strategies that i ususally discuss in the second semester.  We had no
> school
> the next day, because of various shutdowns in Ny.  On Thurtsday, i gave
> time
> for discusssions of their ideas and feelings about what had happened.
> Since
> then, i returned to my usual discussion of topics in AP Psychology.
> They
> have had two quizzes, with no real decline in scores over previous
> years.
> I think that all of the students were personally affected by what took
> place,
> especially since one of the teachers lost her brother in the attack,
> which
> was not determined until days and searches later.  However, the school
>
> actively worked to keep students informed and to help them cope, with
> general
> meetings, available counseling, and tips to all teachers about ways to
> help
> their students.  Of course, this is easier in a small high school than
> in a
> large college, but the interventions may have reduced the PTSD symptoms
> that
> TIPSters seem to be finding in their students.
>
> Riki Koenigsberg
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Annette Taylor, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Psychology
University of San Diego