Two points on Stephen Black's 6th December message:

We don't know if Freud was present when Fliess operated on Emma Eckstein.
His letters to Fliess do not say, but it seems to me very likely that he
was. After all, he was a physician and Eckstein was *his* patient, and
Fliess may well have wanted a second person to be present on such an
occasion.

Now the quotation given by Stephen:
<<I have found little that is 'good' about human beings on the whole. Most of them are
trash, no matter whether they publicly subscribe to this or that ethical doctrine or
not at all. That is something that you cannot say aloud or perhaps even think.>>

As Stephen indicates, this was written by Freud in a letter to the Swiss
psychoanalyst and Protestant minister Oskar Pfister, in the course of an
exchange of views following the publication of "The Future of an
Illusion". The complete passage can be found in *Psychoanalysis and Faith:
The Letters of Sigmund Freud and Oskar Pfister*, eds. H. Meng and E.
Freud, Basic Books, pp. 61-62. Freud later expressed similar sentiments to
Lou Andreas-Salomé: "In the depths of my heart I can't help being
convinced that my dear fellow men, with a few exceptions, are worthless"
(*Letters of Sigmund Freud, 1873-1939*, ed. Ernst Freud, Hogarth, p. 390).

Allen Esterson
London