Rod Hetzel wrote in part:

"So, leaving the antagonistic comments and personal agendas behind us,
what can we as psychologists contribute to the discussion of religion
and human behavior.  I have some potential questions for us to address:
Are there specific variables that would predict prosocial versus
antisocial behaviors among theists and atheists?  Are there certain
variables that would predict prososical behavior among theists but not
atheists (or among atheists but not theists)?  Are there certain
variables that would predict antisocial behavior among theists but not
atheists (or among atheists but not theists)?  Are differences between
theists and atheists in how they cope with stress?"

I have to wonder what would be the value of these "preditcor variables",
even if we could find them. Certainly no one could calim that there was
a causal relationship between religion and prosocial behaviour based on
such a correlation alone and I can't envision an experiment where people
are randonly assigned to the "theist" or "atheist" conditions. As for
predicting the likelihood of antisocial (or prosocial) behaviour based
on theist belief I'm sure that the variablity among subjects would be so
large that making specific predictions about specific individuals would
be fruitless.  Regarding differences in "coping with stress", well that
seems to be a tautological nightmare. If you define a "good coper" as
someone who accepts god's will then the theists will, by definition , be
bound to be better.

What do you see as the practical outcome of such research?

All the best,

-Don.