On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, J L Edwards wrote:

> While discussing the effects of sleep deprivation, a student
> asked if one could die from lack of sleep. Aside from fatal
> familial insomnia and not counting sleep-related fatal
> accidents, is it possible for humans to die from sleep
> deprivation?

Bearing in mind the exceptions ruled out by Jean, as far as I
know, the answer is no. There are a number of classic studies on
long-term sleep deprivation, one of the oldest, best, and
strangest the case of the man who thought he could prove that
sleep was just a bad habit (Katz & Landis, 1935). He didn't, but
he did go for 10 days without sleep and proved that one could
retain enough cognition to write an elegant if obscure and sexist
acrostic sonnet at the very end of deprivation. Better than I
could do with 8 full hours of sleep! He apparently suffered no
lasting effects afterwards.

More modern studies seem to confirm the lack of harm, although
the golden age of sleep deprivation studies has passed, and I
wasn't able to find any recent studies of note in PubMed. On the
other hand, I'm not aware that anyone has looked beyond a few
days of post-deprivation recovery to see if there was any lasting
effect. Katz & Landis, I seem to recall, did mention some
persisting paranoid delusion of their subject about the
experimenters afterward (he blamed them for his failure to prove
sleep only a habit), but this guy was so weird it was probably
his normal state anyway.

Everson (2000), in a recent report concerning the lethal effects
of sleep deprivation in _rats_, had this to say about the effects
for humans:

"Although sleep deprivation is considered a risk factor for human
disease, specific health impairments have not been definitively
linked to sleep deprivation per se, and accordingly, it has no
descriptive clinical signs...Most scientific reports of long-term
sleep deprivation were conducted more than 30 years ago and
employed physiological evaluations that were only rudimentary...
The lack of evidence...does not indicate that sleep deprivation
is harmless, but rather that its consequences...have eluded
discovery".

In other words, if rats die, it can't be good for us either! But
no one has ever reported a participant in a sleep deprivation
study dying (because you can bet we'd know about it if it
happened). A report (Kripke et al, 2002) in all the newspapers
just the other day found that sleeping six hours or less a night
was associated with an increased death rate, with a 15% greater
risk for those with less than 3.5-4.5 hrs/night. Of course, this
is correlational, not necessarily causal, and sleeping _more_
than seven hours was also associated with increased mortality!

On the other hand, there are a few rare individuals who seem to
be able to get by just fine with little or no sleep. An example
is Meddis et al's (1973) case of an elderly woman who averaged
only about 1 hr per night, yet remained healthy and active in
writing and painting. Lucky woman.

So as usual, sleep remains a mystery.

-Stephen

Everson, C., & Toth, L. (2000). Systemic bacterial invasion
  induced by sleep deprivation. American Journal of Physiology,
  Regulatory Integrative Comparitive Physiology, 278,
  R905-R916.

Katz, S., & Landis, C. (1935). Psychologic and physiologic
  phenomena during a prolonged vigil. Archives of Neurology and
  Psychiatry, 34, 307--

Kripke, D. et al (2002). Mortality associated with sleep duration
  and insomnia. Archives of General Psychiatry, 59, 131-6.

Meddis, R. et al (1973). An extreme case of healthy insomnia.
  EEG Clinical Neurophysiology, 35, 213-214

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/