Responding to a question of Laura Valvatne concerning the
question you ask in a Piagetian conservation test, Michael Caruso
wrote:

> I always thought the question was "Do the glasses have the same amount, or
> does one have more than the other?" for the original comparison of the
> identical glasses, and "Do the glasses still have the same amount, or does
> one have more than the other?" for the comparison of the different glasses.
> This is what I tell my students, but I'm not 100% sure where I got that
> from.

I'll second that. Sometimes the question asks "Does one have
more or less" but the choice "or have the same amount" is always
given. Not all published experiments bother to tell you exactly
what they asked (which bugs me), but some do. Browsing through
the literature should confirm this. Checking a Piaget
sourcebook will likely confirm that the Master himself asked the
question that way (at home, can't check).

I recall a bit of research on the difference the form of the
question makes. One study apparently asked _college_ kids
questions of the type "Do you weigh more standing up or sitting
down"? An impressive proportion chose one of those two
alternatives; when the "or the same" option was included, far
fewer did. But no study of conservation of children would ask the
question that way.

(can provide reference tomorrow--just ask)

-Stephen

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/