Rod,
As chair of our IRB, I can only tell you what our requirements are.
The informed consent form, to be signed by all participants (i.e.
those completing the survey), should contain the investigator's name
or that of the project director (if different from the individual
actually collecting the data), address, and telephone number to
permit the participants the opportunity to ask questions and/or
report any study related problems. There should be a statement on the
informed consent form that participants are free to contact this
individual at any time with study concerns.  Although IRB's have the
option of waiving the requirement of a signature from a participant
on a consent form, given a compelling reason to do so in their
weighing of study costs vs benefits, I am not aware of any option to
waive the revelation of the project director from the participants.
If you have concerns, I would certainly contact the chair of your IRB
and request information on any waivers that may have been granted by
the IRB for this particular study or who's name should appear on the
consent form as the study's contact person. The department chair (I
am also a dept. chair) should not be involved at all (unless project
director) and his/her authority does not trump that of the IRB with
respect to the conduct of research involving human participants. In
fact, as a course instructor, I would recommend not playing any role
in the "conduct" of the study at all without first contacting the IRB
chair to find out whether the IRB approved of the distribution and
collection of survey data by individuals other than the study
director or his/her agent. Although an instructor may (or may not)
grant permission for his/her class to be solicited to participate, it
is typically the responsibility of the project director (or his/her
agent) to arrange to obtain the required consents, distribute the
surveys, and collect them.  Otherwise, the instructor becomes part of
the study as the "experimenter" and would also become subject to any
potential liability should participants experience any "adverse
effects".
George Goedel
Northern Kentucky University

George D. Goedel