Tasha:

Three ideas that come to mind for labs are class projects that revolve around clinical
interviewing, research studies, or program development.  If you wanted to teach
clinical interviewing, you could arrange for guests of different ages to come to class
for interactions with students to teach them clinical interviewing skills.  I tend to
get a lot of education and counseling majors in my lifespan classes and they would
benefit from a lab focusing on clinical skills.  You could teach specific active
listening skills, but also more specific skills for interacting with children,
adolescents, older adults, and special populations of adults.  You could set that up
in a way that is similar to an introduction to counseling lab but adapted for lifespan
development.

If you wanted to teach research skills, perhaps you could use the lab time to have the
class develop a research project (or more than one research project if the class is
too big).  The class could design and conduct the research and then present the
research to the rest of the class.  This might not be too different from an Research
Methods class, but the focus would be on developmental research.  If this were done, I
would also try to make the research high enough quality so that it could be submitted
for presentation and ideally publication.  You might also arrange for students to
develop posters that could be presented on the campus, maybe in a dining hall or some
other place where students congregate.  Along similar lines, you might also invite
children, adolescents, or adults to the lab so you could "replicate" (in a general
sense) some of the studies they had read about in the text, such as conservation, some
of the more object permanence studies, etc.  I usually invite guests to my regular
development classes to demonstrate these kinds of things, but you might be able to be
more elaborate in your demonstrations if you have a separate lab time to do it.

If you wanted to teach program development, you could use the lab time to help
students develop service programs to meet the specific needs of particular
populations.  This might involve conducting a literature review to identify the needs
of a particular population, visiting local service agencies that meet the needs of
people from birth to older age, developing a program, and developing a plan for
program evaluation.  You might also be able to work with a local agency and see if
they have specific needs that your students could address through program development.
 Along these lines, maybe you could have students design a program or workshop to
present to middle or high school students on drugs, relationships, peer pressure,
health issues, etc.  Or maybe students could develop a program to present to older
adults at nursing homes or retirement centers.  This would involve your students
conducting a literature search to see what has been done and what has been shown to be
effective, designing their own program, and then actually conducting the program.

Just some ideas.  I think it is great anytime you can provide an opportunity for
students to engage in original and creative thinking, to develop teamwork and
communication skills, AND to develop some sort of useful or interesting project or
hands-on skill.  When I teach lifespan development in the fall, I'm going to arrange
for volunteer placements at various agencies in the community to supplement what they
are learning in class.  Let me know if any of these ideas are at all helpful in
stimulating your own ideas.  Good luck!

Rod Hetzel

Roderick D. Hetzel, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology