I was reading Santrock's life-span development text which I am using for the
first time in the fall and I came to a table of average life expectancy over
the historical record.  The table gives a figure of 18 years for prehistoric
times and 20 years for Ancient Greece, and so on.  These ages led me to
thinking.  We know that in poor countries infant mortality tends to be high.
  We also know (I think) that, in these same countries, the rate of mothers
dying in childbirth tends to be relatively high. I assume that the same
would be true during prehistoric times and perhaps for the ancient Greeks as
well.  My question is, if you survived early infancy, and, as a woman you
survived childbirth(s), how long were you likely to live?  Have we really
increased the life span significantly for those who did not die in infancy
or childbirth?  If so, by how much, I wonder.  I have tried to find the
answer to these questions but I have not succeeded.  Anyone have some ideas,
or data?

Jeff Nagelbush
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ferris State University