Hello again all:

It is an amazing thing to have a student who asks questions that are beyond one's talents to answer. These two questions are from the same student who asked the Stroop question and they are beyond my ken (well, the second one is, I can speculate semi-intelligently about dreaming and language.) Can anyone with the patience to read this help me and my student?:

"do you believe if a person is better at one language he/she will dream in that language more often? do the two (language and dreams) have any connection?

do you feel that testing how much one can read in each direction would be a proper way of testing which language one is better at (at least in reading)? for example, because some languages are written the opposite way (ex: hebrew) would someone who is better at hebrew be able to observe more characters (random, neither english nor hebrew) to the left of the focus point?

related to that, have they tested transition periods for shifts in "character window." for example, if one was in an environment with hebrew for a while and is then introduced to an environment with english, is there a period in which the "character window" shifts from further to the left to further of the right or is it an instant reaction? perhaps this also depends on the individuals proficiency in each language. this would also relate to my second question. what if those random characters were switched to english or hebrew? would someone better at hebrew still see more letters to the left even when reading english? if so, would this window be permanent, or would there be a slow or instant change (further to the right)?"

Thanks again -

Nancy Melucci
LBCC etc