What I have done is encourage the students to come talk to me before the
next test. If the student is so far off the answer, I quickly jot the
points that I was looking for on that test. When I had back the exams, I
stress that I am willing to look over answers to essay questions (I give
out my essay questions a week or so before the exam). I tell them I am
always amazed at the number of students who come to me during the exam to
ask questions about the essay - the time to ask those questions is BEFORE
the test, not DURING. I also stress that this quick review of their answers
will not guarantee all points, but at least they will know if they are on
the right track (or are completely off).

At 06:23 AM 10/4/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>OK, Tipsters, I'd like to hear some advice about giving feedback on essays.
>Maybe this will make a good "Friday discussion starter."
>
>Although there are times that the most appropriate response to a student
>essay seems to be "Huh?!?", as an educator I don't think that this would
>fulfill my teaching responsibility. In other words, some students' writing
>is so incomprehensible that there don't seem to be points in what they've
>written that one can use as a starting point for feedback that will help
>them. I'd like to learn what others on the list have found to be an
>effective strategy for cases where, after reading what a student has
>written, you don't know where to begin.
>
>At this point in my career, I am comfortable enough with my intuitions to
>use them in making the distinction between disinterested students ("blah
>blah blah woof woof woof gimme some points") and earnest but truly clueless.
>I'm talking about the latter.
>
>Thanks,
>Michael Renner
>
>P.S. Yes, NOW would be a good time to offer this advice; I have a pile of
>exams on my desk and some of them mystify me...

>Michael J. Renner
>Department of Psychology
>West Chester University
>West Chester, PA 19383 USA
>
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Telephone: +1.610.436.2925
>Fax: +1.610.436.2846
>Fall 2002 Office Hours: M 12-2 pm; T/Th 8-9:30 am
>"The path of least resistance is always downhill."

Deb

Dr. Deborah S. Briihl
Dept. of Psychology and Counseling
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA 31698
(229) 333-5994
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://chiron.valdosta.edu/dbriihl/

Well I know these voices must be my soul...
Rhyme and Reason - DMB