Yes, it's me again. I think I've sorted the terminology out and sorry
for making my education so public.

Trichromats have three kinds of cones  (common as dirt)
Dichromats have two kinds of cones     (in the minority)
Cone monochromats have one kind of cone (rare)
Rod monochromats have zero kinds of cone (they should really be
   called nonechromats) (rare)

Everybody has rods.

This classification is based on changes in the kind of cones. I'd
guess that no one knows if there are any changes in the overall
number of cones and rods in these disorders. But I'll be happy to be
corrected.

Now, which one does Beth's student have?

-Stephen

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.            tel:  (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Department of Psychology         fax:  (819) 822-9661
Bishop's  University           e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Dept web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
TIPS discussion list for psychology teachers at
http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips