Traci:
        Freud described himself as an atheist. But did had opinions on
the topic. He described religious experiences as "oceanic" - connections
between us and the outside. In his routine theories he believed ego
development to be clarification of the ego vis-à-vis the outside world
(i.e. an infant fails to distinguish between his/her own wishes and the
outside world). Therefore, these "oceanic" religious feelings are a
failure of ego development. I believe this is discussed in _Civilization
and its Discontents_. He also (in _Obsessive Actions and Religious
Practices_) compares obsessions/compulsions with repetitive religious
acts (crossing oneself repeatedly for instance). At the root of both, he
claims, is guilt and guilt reduction.

Anna Freud was his daughter (who developed psychoanalytic ideas on
adolescence). He had sons (?) who were physicians (?) but am not certain
of this. Of course, Clement Freud is his grandson, well known via the
BBC's quiz show ("Just a Minute"), that we discussed a while back.

John W. Kulig
Professor of Psychology
Plymouth State College
Plymouth NH 03264
"Eat bread and salt and speak the truth"
Russian saying.