Stephen Black wrote:

> 1) A general reason
>
> All religions have rituals of profound significance to its
> practitioners. To non-believers, however, those practices can seem
> bizarre, superstitious, and incomprehensible. One can understand the
> discomfort of the believers to have to expose these practices to the
> skeptical and possibly judgemental eye of outsiders. Or perhaps it
> forces the believers to view their rituals as outsiders would see
> them, which again may be disquieting.
>
> 2) A specific reason
>
> For justifiable historical reasons, Jews have good reason to be wary
> of the motives of Christians, including or even especially those who
> might want to attend synagogue services.

Stephen has hit on some excellent points.  Putting it into a social
psychological context, these are a number of reasons from the areas of
social cognition (e.g. in-group/out-group biases and belief
perseverance), social influence (e.g. conformity and group
polarization), and social relations (e.g. prejudice and relative
deprivation) that be used to examine inter-religious distrust and violence.

If anyone is interested, I can send you a copy of a recently completed
article which is under review for publication entitled, "Intra- and
Inter- Religious Hate and Violence: A Psychosocial Model" written by a
colleague and me.

Best,

Linda

--
Linda M. Woolf, Ph.D.
Book Review Editor, H-Genocide

Main Webpage:  http://www.webster.edu/~woolflm/
mailto:woolflm@;webster.edu

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's (and woman's) best friend. . . .
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read."
                  -             Groucho Marx