From: Deb Briihl [mailto:dbriihl@;valdosta.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 9:23 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences
Subject: Re: Bats and colour vision

Here is what I found:
  Yes, all bats can see relatively well, some bats better than others.
Microbats, which rely on echolocation, can see well during  the day, and

about as well as humans at night. Microbats are also thought to be
color-blind.

  The megabat, which eat fruit or drink nectar from flowers, have
exceptionally good color  eyesight, similar to the vision of an owl or
cat
an night. Most megabats lack the ability to  echolocate and therefore
rely
totally on their eyesight when foraging for fruit.

And if you want to know the vision of a cat
http://videoforcats.com/catvision.htm

Info about bats from http://www.wildbirdsac.com/bat_info.html

At 01:40 PM 11/5/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>The other day in class I was discussing colour vision and the fact that

>only primates among mammals are trichromats. I mentioned the theory
>that this conferred an evolutionary advantage in spotting tropical
>fruit (red) among the leaves (green).
>
>A student asked whether fruit-eating bats therefore also had
>trichromatic vision. Good question.  I said I thought not, because they

>were nocturnal, weren't they?
>
>According to an on-line review of the book _Bats_ by Phil Richardson,
>I'm wrong. It says "Megabats eat mainly tropical fruit; both their keen

>sense of smell and their color vision enable then to detect one
>fruiting tree among thousands".
>
>But what this doesn't tell me is whether they're trichromats, which is
>what the theory would predict. Further web-searching didn't help.
>
>Anyone know?
>
>Stephen ______________________________________________________________
>Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.            tel:  (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
>Department of Psychology         fax:  (819) 822-9661
>Bishop's  University           e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Lennoxville, QC  J1M 1Z7
>Canada
>
>Dept web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
>TIPS discussion list for psychology teachers at
>http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips

Deb

Dr. Deborah S. Briihl
Dept. of Psychology and Counseling
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA 31698
(229) 333-5994
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://chiron.valdosta.edu/dbriihl/

Well I know these voices must be my soul...
Rhyme and Reason - DMB

---
You are currently subscribed to tips as: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To
unsubscribe send a blank email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]