From: John Serafin [mailto:jserafin@;stvincent.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 9:04 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences
Subject: Re: higamous, hogamus

on 11/13/02 10:24 AM, Charles M. Huffman at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

> Higamous, hogamous, the author is anonymous (Huffman, 2002).

>From the for what it's worth department...

Schultz & Schultz had attributed the "hogamous, higamous..." ditty to
William James in older editions of their history of psych text (e.g., it's
on pages 182-183 of the 5th edition). Unfortunately, there is no source
cited, so I don't know where the Schultzes got it.

Interestingly, the story disappears in the 6th edition of their
text...perhaps an indication that they came to question the accuracy of the
story.

John

--
John Serafin