Hi everyone,

Where could buy a "durian?"  I'm always willing to try something new!

jim

Jim Matiya
Carl Sandburg High School
131st and LaGrange Road
Orland Park, IL 60462
Lewis University. Romeoville, IL
Moraine Valley Comm. College. Palos Hills, IL
Illinois Virtual High School
Webpages: http://www.d230.org/cs/matiya
>From: Beth Benoit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: Smell from hell: an answer in search of a question
>Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 18:54:41 -0500
>
>on 11/6/02 6:13 PM, LeeAnn Bartolini at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I am a female and I liked the taste. Not sure what this has to do with PSY,
> > however...
> >
> > LeeAnn Bartolini
> > Dominican University
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>Regarding what this has to do with psychology: I think this is a perfect
>example of the kind of little nugget from TIPS we can offer our students
>when teaching Intro (the Sensation and Perception chapter) and of course,
>when teaching Sensation and Perception.
>
>All the texts I've used have a picture of a tongue and talk about taste
>perception. I know that from now on, I'll never teach this chapter without
>mentioning Durian, its reputed terrible smell, its reputed wonderful taste,
>and the discrepancy between the two.
>
>And an afterthought...I use TIPS in the classroom all the time. (Isn't that
>why we're online?) Just used an example from TIPS last night (okay, not a
>flattering one!) in my Male and Female Gender Perspectives class to point
>out how frequently even intelligent people try to hide their prejudices
>about women and other disparaged groups by saying something like "I know I'm
>going to catch hell from the feminists here, but..." (in the same vein as,
>"I'm not prejudiced, but..."). All the women in the class nodded their
>heads knowingly.
>
>I know that doesn't have anything to do with Durian, but does that line ring
>any bells? Weren't the females in the group remarkably tolerant when those
>(Speaking of taste...)
>
>Oops, this is a bit off this thread.
>
>Apologies (lukewarm),
>
>Beth Benoit
>University System of New Hampshire
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to tips as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. ---