Nancy, I don't believe that the story is so much as a false dilemma as
depiction of a situation.  Regardless of his choices, in the story,
Heinz stole the drug.  Now you have to determine if he was wrong to do
so and most importantly, why.  As it has already been mentioned, there
are numerous real life cases where people find themselves faced with a
perceived dilemma and make bad choices that get them into trouble

The times I have taught this dilemma both myself and my students have found ourselves frustrated by the apparent lack of ability on the part of Heinz to generate alternative solutions.

In terms of having real-life significance I still think this is mostly a useless exercise. We'd be better off teaching them how to think flexibly, which this pair of choices really doesn't allow...

Nancy Melucci
LBCC