On 28 November Stephen Black wrote:
>"Young Dr. Freud", which I caught on PBS (US TV)
> last night thanks to the alert by Charles Harris is, as
> predicted by Charles, the standard admiring view as
> seen through the eyes of uncritical supporters. It
> offers no unpleasantness, no doubts, no dissenting opinions.

I am judging “Young Dr Freud” from the extensive material on the PBS
website, which appears to be a transcript of the whole program. The best
way to get an idea of the nature of “Young Dr Freud” is to imagine a
documentary on the early history of Lenin’s political career produced by
members of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union. All the consultant
historians and contributors are psychoanalysts and/or psychoanalytic
academics. Morris Eagle has published articles critical of certain aspects
of Freud’s work, but you would not know this from the program. I’ve no
knowledge of Sophie Freud’s views on the controversies about Freud, but
the others are Freud loyalists who can be relied upon not to deviate from
the Party line. I outline below the more important errors,
misrepresentations and misunderstandings in the program.

On the seduction theory:
The commentary stated the seduction theory postulated that “the prime
cause of hysteria was the sexual abuse of an innocent child by an adult,
most often a father”. This is false in several crucial respects.
1. The theory was about an *essential* precondition, not a “prime” cause.
2. The postulated cause was not the event itself, but an *unconscious
memory* of an event.
3. The event had to occur in very early childhood. To refer to the sexual
abuse of “an innocent child” is seriously misleading.
4. The identity of the putative culprit was immaterial, and was not
mentioned in Freud’s expositions of the theory in letters to Fliess in
October 1895 or in the 1896 seduction theory papers. In fact Freud never
mentioned a father as the putative culprit before a letter to Fliess in
December 1896, many months after he had published his seduction theory
papers.
5. It is not the case that the abuse had to be “by an adult”. All that was
necessary was an unconscious memory of sexual excitation in early
childhood. In the first two seduction theory papers (completed by early
February 1896) Freud claimed that in seven of thirteen cases diagnosed as
“hysterical”, the culprits were very young boys only slightly older than
the infant victim.

I think the level of ignorance shown here about the seduction theory gives
an indication of how unreliable are the notions of these eminent
psychoanalysts about the history of psychoanalysis. It is also an
indication that they have paid little attention (if any) to the critical
literature on the seduction theory published in recent times. There was no
indication of the nature of Freud’s evidence for the unconscious ideas and
memories, namely, that it relied heavily on his new technique of analytic
inference and the symbolic interpretation of symptoms, not on ‘memories’
reported by the patients. As Freud stated in “The Aetiology of Hysteria”,
the patients assured him “emphatically of their unbelief” in the infantile
“sexual scenes” he was endeavouring to foist on them (1896, SE 3, p. 204).
Nor did anyone on the program point out (no doubt because of ignorance of
the facts) that prior to alighting on the seduction theory Freud had not
claimed a single uncovering of infantile sexual abuse, yet within four
months he was claiming one hundred percent corroboration of the theory
with sixteen patients (13 hysterical, 3 pure obsessionals). The story that
“Freud’s patients… had been reporting fantasies” [or genuine memories, for
that matter] is based on Freud’s utterly misleading retrospective reports
of the episode, and its virtually universal acceptance notwithstanding,
this story is no more accurate than an urban legend.

N.B. The accounts given in the literature give no idea that the putative
‘fantasies’ [*Phantasies* in German, translated as ‘phantasy’ by James
Strachey in the Hogarth Standard Edition] were supposedly *unconscious*
ideas or memories in the patients’ minds that Freud supposedly uncovered
(i.e., reconstructed) by his analytic technique of interpretation.

The account on the program alluding to the collapse of the seduction
theory was both totally inadequate and incoherent: “But, when [Freud]
could find no evidence of such behavior [sexual abuse by his father] and
no clear memory of abuse among his brothers and sisters, his seduction
theory collapsed.” I can’t go into the complicated reasons for Freud’s
loss of faith in the seduction theory, but the quoted words again indicate
the ignorance displayed in this program. By Freud’s theory, the memories
of infantile sexual abuse were deeply repressed, so Freud’s siblings would
not have remembered any such events had they occurred. In fact, contrary
to Bergmann’s statement, if they had had a “clear memory” of such an event
it would have *refuted* the seduction theory! (Because it was essential
that the memory be unconscious for it to have been pathogenic.)

Some more general observations:

The case of ‘Anna O.’ (Bertha Pappenheim) was discussed in traditional
simplistic terms, without any mention that she retained some of her
symptoms at the termination of the treatment, and that she was
hospitalized for short periods on three occasions in the immediately
succeeding years, each time with a diagnosis of “hysteria”.

The commentary stated: “Freud kept noting the sexual material peeping out
behind the symptoms of his patients.” This is grossly misleading. Since
Freud’s methodology involved the *presumption* that symptoms were symbolic
representations of sexual experiences (1896, SE 3, pp. 192-193), he
inevitably ‘found’ sexual material behind the symptoms. This is
exemplified by his inferring on the basis of a facial tic and eczema
around the mouth that Miss G. de B. had been forced to engage in fellatio
when she was an infant (Letter to Fliess, 3 January 1897).

The commentary gave an erroneous statement of the Oedipus complex
(bowdlerizing it at the same time), by describing it as “the desire of a
young boy to replace his father as the sole recipient of his mother’s
affections…” This omits the very heart of  Freud’s notion, that “[infant]
boys concentrate their sexual wishes upon their mother”, i.e., “a child’s
first [libidinal] object choice is an *incestuous* one” (1925, S.E. 20,
pp. 36-37). As he expressed it elsewhere, around the age of three or four
infant boys experience impulses that “extend uninhibited into a
straightforward sexual desire” for their mother (1925, SE 19, p. 220).

Young-Bruehl told us that we “would be amazed” how helpful it can be for
someone to tell someone about a disturbing experience, as if we owe this
knowledge to the development of the talking cure. This has been common
knowledge for so long that we find it expressed by Shakespeare in Macbeth:
“Give sorrow words; the grief that does not speak/Whispers the
o’er-fraught heart and bids it break”. (Cited in Cioffi 1998 [1973], p.
165)

Peter Gay stated that “Doctors in Freud’s day dismissed dreams as
irrelevant nonsense.” As a generalisation this is highly misleading. Henri
Ellenberger (1970) gave the lie to this kind of assertion, and Rosemarie
Sand (1992) has shown that before Freud wrote on the subject, Charcot,
Janet and Krafft-Ebing published many ideas about the nature and meaning
of dreams that are now associated with Freud.

Bergmann stated: “Freud believed that… we are not masters in our own
house. Much of our life is determined by unconscious forces that we don’t
know about.” We don’t owe this notion to Freud, as the context implies. It
was a commonplace at the time Freud started writing on this subject. Bryan
Magee documents that, long before Freud, “Schopenhauer argued at length…
that empirical evidence points to the conclusion not only that most of our
thoughts and feelings are unknown to us but that, the reason for this is a
process of repression which is itself unconscious, that it is unconscious
because our most primitive and powerful emotions and wishes cannot he
accommodated by the conception of ourselves which we wish to preserve; and
that it is upward from these depths that the emotions, wishes and so on of
which we are aware emerge into consciousness, suitably cleaned up so as
not to offend our self-esteem, but nevertheless pushed from below by
hidden, primitive and exceedingly powerful drives in terms of which most
of what we think, say and do would have to be fully understood.” (Magee,
1983, pp. 132-133)

I think that should be enough to show that the program put out by PBS was
a travesty of what a documentary on Freud’s early psychoanalytic career
should have been.

I will be happy to supply full references for everything I have written
above should anyone require them.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Dept
Southwark College, London
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

www.human-nature.com/esterson/index.html

Selected Bibliography

Cioffi, F. (1998). Freud and the Idea of a Pseudoscience. Chicago: Open
Court.

Ellenberger, H. (1970). The Discovery of the Unconscious. New York: Basic
Books.

Magee, B. (1983). The Philosophy of Schopenhauer. Oxford University Press.

Sand, R. (1992). “Pre-Freudian Discovery of Dream Meaning.” In Freud and
the History of Psychoanalysis, eds. T. Gelfand and J. Kerr. Hillsdale, NJ:
Atlantic Press.