Hi

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Marte Fallshore wrote:

> I teach an introductory statistics class where homework is meant to be a
> learning experience, so is graded very lightly (especially the
> computations). Meanwhile, on tests, students can compute 'till the cows
> come home but do not understand the concepts I feel are more important
> than computations. They also often run out of time on the tests. It
> occurred to me the other day, that I could grade the homework much harder
> on the computations, and make the exams conceptual only. I am wondering if
> anybody out here has done this, and what the result was. My fear is that
> they will merely flunk all the tests because they cannot make up for
> misunderstanding through their ability to blindly compute. Thanks,

It would help to know more about your assignments and tests to
appreciate how you are determining that students do not
understand the conceptual stuff and what kinds of practice they
are now getting.  Perhaps assignments can be designed to help
with the conceptual as well as computations.

Also don't overlook the links between conceptual and
compuational.  One benefit of lots of practice at computing
(i.e., making some things automatic) is that people may have more
cognitive resources for the conceptual.  They also may be less
likely to run out of time on tests.  It is also helpful, I think,
to have students do the computations using conceptual formula
rather than computational ones that lack any obvious
relation to the meaning of the statistic being calculated.

Perhaps it might be possible to give mini-quizzes (e.g., one
question) on specific conceptual topics that you find they are
not understanding.  These mini-quizzes may not even be worth any
marks, but would provide you with feedback about how students are
doing and get them thinking during the term about the conceptual
stuff.

There is no substitute in teaching stats for repetition.  This
includes literal repetition (e.g., in lectures and labs, lots of
problems, ...) and conceptual repetition (e.g., different
analogies for conceptualizing the material).

Also keep in mind that learning statistics often entails
considerable work on the part of students, work that not all
students are willing to undertake.  You may not be able to do
much for some students.  On the other hand, I think many students
are surprised that they can indeed even learn such material when
given good instruction and (strongly) encouraged/required to do
the requisite work.

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark