Hi

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Chuck Huff wrote:

> Jim Clark says:
> >
> >Even if we were to grant Rick these points, they do NOT resolve
> >the current issue.  Here is Lewontin on the question of the
> >status of evolution ... clearly he thinks that evolution is a
> >fact that cannot be denied by a "person who pretends to any
> >understanding of the natural world."
> >

> This is an appeal to authority (or struck me as one).  I actually
> agree with the argument that the Lewontin makes, but do not think it
> should be accepted on its authority.

Here is a short excerpt from one site on appeal to authority:

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-authority.html

An Appeal to Authority is a fallacy with the following form:

Person A is (claimed to be) an authority on subject S.
Person A makes claim C about subject S.
Therefore, C is true.

This fallacy is committed when the person in question is not a
legitimate authority on the subject. More formally, if person A
is not qualified to make reliable claims in subject S, then the
argument will be fallacious.

At least according to this description and granting Lewontin's
expertise in biology, I would have thought that an appeal to
Lewontin would NOT be a fallacy.

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark