From: "J L Edwards" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi all:

I'm curious: have any of you ever advised a parent of a biting child to bite
the child in return? If not, why not, given it's "great effectiveness"? Is
it ethical and practical to recommend methods that are not as effective and
which prolong the problem? Is there any generalization from the home to
other situations?

Jean Edwards
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jean,

These responses are very interesting.

My first child only bit one time.  Unfortunately, it was me.  She was
about ten months old and I was holding her up to put her outfit back on
after a diaper change.

I had my shirt off, having also just given her a bath.  I guess my shoulder
must've looked reeeall shiny because she took a chomp.   I didn't know
what had happened at first -- I felt this horrible pain and yelped.

When I moved her away from me, I looked and saw she had broken the skin.
 Realizing it was her, I looked at her incredulously.  Unfortunately, the yelp
must have been really loud and right in her ear.  Her eyes got reeealll big
and she wailed for a few minutes.

I did too :(

But she hasn't bitten anyone or anything since

Jim

P.S.  The previous message was not an endorsement of the old
testament policy of a "tooth for a tooth" :)

 Jim Guinee, Ph.D.
 Director of Training & Adjunct Professor
 University of Central Arkansas Counseling Center
 313 Bernard Hall    Conway, AR  72035    USA

 "Too many of us have a Christian vocabulary rather than a
   Christian experience.  We think we are doing our duty when
   we're only talking about it."  ... Charles F. Banning

 E-mail is not a secure means to transmit confidential
 information. The UCA Counseling Center staff does not
 use e-mail to discuss personal issues. The staff does
 not maintain 24-hour access to their e-mail accounts.