Leonore Frigo wrote:
> This is from one of my online students...
> "Is Freud's id, ego and superego based on Plato's three part
> soul which consists of reason, emotion and appetite?"

Christopher Green replied:
>When I was an undergraduate, oh so many years ago, I wrote
>what, at the time, I considered to be my most original paper for
>a class (i.e., I had not read anything like it before). In the paper,
>I compared Freud's three components of the psyche  with
>Plato's three components of the "Republic" (i.e., the artisans,
>warriors and Philosopher-King... as I recall). The similarities
>were quite compelling. But I'm not sure if there is any direct
>link or if the similarities were a coincidence with most general
>structures of triads. I would suspect that it was an illusory
>relationship.

and later:
>There is, to be sure, a rough mapping bewteen Plato's epithumetikon
>and Freud's id. One might even be able to make some sort of case
>for the logistikon and the ego. It is very difficult, however, to map
>the thumos on to the super-ego. They just don't do the same things.
>In addition, the theorized dynamics among the various parts are quite
>different.

Here are some further comments in the literature on Freud’s ego-psychology
formulations of the ego, id and superego:

William McDougall, *Psychoanalysis and Social Psychology*, 1936, pp.
60-61:

Is, then, the id simply the sum of the instincts ? On some pages it would
seem so: for the id is unconscious, it is 'a cauldron of seething
excitement' and is the great reservoir of libido, (The Ego and the Id, p.
38) and in it 'the pleasure principle exerts undisputed sway' and
dominates all its processes'. (New Lectures, p. 100) Further, the ego
stands for reason and circumspection, while the id stands for the untamed
passions . . . one might compare the relation of the ego to the id with
that between a rider and his horse'. Here we are back at Plato's doctrine
of Reason as the charioteer who guides the fierce unruly horses, the
passions, which are the motive powers. Even the topographical separation
of the id and the reason was at least as clear in Plato's teaching as in
Freud's. For Plato put Reason in the head, and the id in the belly.
Whereas Freud does not yet seem to know that the id corresponds roughly to
the thalamic region of the brain and reason to the cortex.

But the doctrine of the id [as explicated by Freud], at present is not so
clear, so simple, as this. It is still a great tangle in which Freud
lashes about like a great whale caught in a net of his own contriving. He
says quite explicitly Super-ego, ego and id, then, are the three realms,
regions or provinces into which we divide the mental apparatus of the
individual. (New Lectures, p. 97)  This seems a pretty definite separation
between ego and id; but it by no means corresponds with the distinction
between the conscious and the unconscious. For, although the ego 'includes
consciousness' (apparently all there is of consciousness) yet 'The ego is
after all only part of the id' (New Lectures, p. 102).  Now the super-ego
is a 'function in the ego' there-fore the unconscious id includes within
itself both ego and super-ego (which, two or three pages earlier in the
chapter, have been emphatically separated from the id as distinct parts,
'realms, regions or provinces' of the mental apparatus) and, with them,
the consciousness or conscious activities which they include.

I have said enough, I think, to show you that, although it was a great
step to distinguish the two very different meanings which until recently
had been confused together by Freud under the term 'the Unconscious', it
is clear that the name 'id', having been given to the topographical part
thus separated out from the Unconscious, still covers a mass of gross
confusion. I will not call it a hopeless confusion; for, if Professor
Freud should have the strength to revise all this part of his doctrine
once more, giving up once for all his obstinate inclination to confuse
parts of mental structure with types of mental activity (a distinction
whose importance he has now begun to realize), he will probably arrive at
the tolerable conclusion that the name id, if it is to have any
usefulness, must go back to the meaning which that great psychologist,
Friedrich Nietzsche, gave to it, namely, the sum of the instinctive or
innate dispositions.