Hi

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Christopher D. Green wrote:

> Assuming they are at least ordinal, you could code them 1, 2,
> 3 (or -56, 7, 1006, if you wanted to).

Although true that coding is arbitrary with 2 groups, this does
not generalize to 3 groups.  Depends on the hypothesized
underlying "distance" between groups 1 and 2 and groups 2 and 3.

> You'll have a restriction of range problem that will tend to
> supress the final value you get for the coefficient, and the
> "pct. of variance accounted for" interpretation of its square
> will be of dubious value.

With two predictors as described in my other posting (linear and
quadratic or some other orthogonal set such as x1=-2 1 1, x2=0 -1
+1), the overall R^2 will be equivalent to eta^2 and the
individual r^2 for each predictor will be the percentage of
variability attributed to linear and quadratic components (or
contrast 1 and contrast 2 more generally).  Latter will add up to
overall R^2 (unequal ns may affect this).

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark