Hi Natalie,

For whatever reasons, i seem to know that Baingio Pinna is credited with this illusion.  From Discover magazine...."Vision researchers Baingio Pinna and Gavin Brelstaff theorize that illusory rotation arises from the brain's strategy of making certain neurons responsible for detecting both the orientation and the direction of movement of visual lines and curves.

Neurons in the visual cortex of the brain are organized into subgroups, each of which responds best to lines oriented at a specific angle. Neurons that "prefer" the particular angle of an object viewed at any given moment are more active than those preferring other orientations. A subgroup of visual neurons gets most excited when a line with a preferred orientation is in motion and the direction of that motion is at a right angle to the line's orientation.

Just as the brain determines the orientation of objects by "looking" at which groups of orientation-selective neurons are active, it also assesses the direction of motion of objects by the activity of those same nerve cells. This doubling up of orientation and motion detection works great if a line is moving at right angles to its orientation, but if the line is moving in any other direction, the brain gets confused."

jim

Jim Matiya
Carl Sandburg High School
131st and LaGrange Road
Orland Park, IL 60462
Lewis University. Romeoville, IL
Moraine Valley Comm. College. Palos Hills, IL
Illinois Virtual High School. Cyberspace?
Webpages: http://www.d230.org/cs/matiya
>From: "Nathalie Cote" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: moving circles illusion
>Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 17:11:45 -0400
>
>http://www.optillusions.com/dp/1-26.htm
>
>Hi, TIPS,
>
>I understand most of the perceptual illusions, and maybe I'm just having
>a brain lapse, but I just can't seem to come up with the explanation of
>the illusion at the link above. There are two concentric circles made of
>small diamond shapes, with light and dark shadows on one edge of the
>diamonds in the inner circle and on the opposite edge of the diamonds
>making the outer circle. When you move your head back and forth, the
>circles appear to move in opposite directions. I've looked through past
>TIPS emails but I don't see anything other than Jim Matiya mentioning a
>similar illusion to Ron Blue. I'd look it up in PsycInfo but I don't
>know what to call it. Could you please explain it or point me to an
>explanation? Thanks.
>
>Nathalie
>
>*****
>Nathalie Cote', Ph.D.
>Assistant Professor of Psychology
>Belmont Abbey College
>100 Belmont - Mt. Holly Rd.
>Belmont, NC 28012
>Tel 704-825-6754
>Fax 704-825-6239
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to tips as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Get McAfee virus scanning and cleaning of incoming attachments. Get Hotmail Extra Storage! ---