From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 6:49 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences
Subject: I Hate Dry Erase Markers

Hello,

Many schools have switched from chalkboards to dry erase markers over the past ten years. I am not sure what the economic impetus was for this move, but I've never liked using the markers. Last night, teaching in a very small classroom with no ventilation and writing a lot on the whiteboard (statistics) I had the distinctly unpleasant feeling that I was becoming giddy and I know I was making stupid mistakes doing operations that are mathematically simple and procedures I know by heart. I am fairly sure that I was badly affected by the fumes - I've heard that dry erase markers are "huffed" by some people - is this an urban legend, and am I just perhaps developing some kind of fatigue related dementia? Or finding a better excuse for my dislike of dry erase markers?

Nancy Melucci
Long Beach City College
Long Beach CA