>From Gazzaniga's Cognitive Neuroscience
There can be an apraxia related to language production. This is seen in
difficulty pronouncing words.  More commonly apraxia is related to motor
control. There are two classifications of apraxia, ideomotor and ideational.
A patient with ideomotor apraxia "appears to have a rough sense of what the
desired action is, but has problems executing the action." A patient with
ideational apraxia has their "knowledge about the intent of the action
disrupted." In this case the patient will no longer understand the intent of
a tool.

Gary J. Klatsky, Ph. D.
Director, Human Computer Interaction M.A. Program

Department of Psychology                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Oswego State University (SUNY)       http://www.oswego.edu/~klatsky
7060 State Hwy 104W                      Voice: (315) 312-3474
Oswego, NY 13126                           Fax:   (315) 312-6330

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Nina Tarner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Tuesday, November 11, 2003 6:25 PM
To:     Teaching in the Psychological Sciences
Subject:        question on apraxia

I am teaching a course on the brain and behavior and the other day in
class we were discussing apraxia, which is a cognitive disorder where
the person can no longer perform previously familiar movements with
their hands, such as wavinf or brushing your teeth.  I am using
Josephine Wilson's text and I think I have found some conflciting
information, which a student pointed out to me.  The text states, "This
disorder is not due to a motor dysfunction, however, or to an impairment
in language comprehension..."  Later on in the paragraph it states,
"..., but they cannot perform the appropriate movements in response to a
verbal command."  Now, doesn't this seem conflicting to you?  The text
says that it is not due an impairment in language comprehension, but
then later says a movement cannot be perfoemed in response to a verbal
command?  Isn't language comprehension and a vrebal command the same
thing?  I thought, as I was taught, that the problem laid in the fact
that a person with this disorder couldn't understand what is being asked
of them.  For example, if I put a toothbrush in front of you and you are
the one with apraxia, and I ask you to brush your teeth, you cannot
perform this function because you do not understand what I am asking of
you.

Any help????

Nina

Nina L. Tarner, Ph.D.