I thought TIPSters might be interested in a remarkable animated video
by Brandon Pletsch, previously a medical illustration student at the
Medical College of Georgia. His work is called "Auditory
transduction" and won a well-deserved first prize in this year's
National Science Foundation/Science Visualization Challenge contest.

Clips of his achievement (plus other great stuff) can be found at
http://www.sciencemag.org//feature/data/vis2003/ssintro.html

Click on "first place" under "Multimedia" and then try out "tympanic
membrane" and "stapes".

I tracked Mr. Pletsch down to his current home at iMed Studios where
he's willing to provide a CD-ROM of the complete 7-minute production
for $50, including rights to show it in class and post on a protected
website.

He's at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.            tel:  (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Department of Psychology         fax:  (819) 822-9661
Bishop's  University           e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Dept web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
TIPS discussion list for psychology teachers at
 http://faculty.frostburg.edu/psyc/southerly/tips/index.htm