Deb Briihl wrote:
Hi!
We are getting the chance to design a section of a new building for our Psych dept. and are interested in what other people really like (and really don't like) about their buildings. Besides office space, we will be having some space for labs, animal room, classrooms, etc. Suggestions? Anyone with plans on line?

Deb,

We have recently gone through the same process--deciding on space needs for labs, office space, etc.  This isn't so hard.  You have to decide on whether to have a small single-occupant office for each faculty member or larger, shared offices.  You need to decide your space needs for current activities and then project a bit for growth and add a dash of flexibility for changes in program strategy.  What is more difficult, in my opinion, is making design recommendations for the psychology of building function.  I'll give you an example,

Currently, we are housed in a 1950s brick and cinderblock 2-story building.  While space is tight, the building is highly successful from a behavioral perspective.  We have faculty, staff, and classrooms all in the same building.  There are spaces near major trafficways for people to hang out, meet in study groups, or study for the next class.  There are vending machines in these informal spaces, seating, and tables.  Two well-equipped computer labs are in the building.  While aesthetically unappealing, this building has everything one needs to bring people together, hold them, and attend to their social and educational needs.  In other words, this old building really works--it helps to provide an informal social climate, supports a sense of belonging, and helps to create a "family" feeling in the psychology department.

Contrast this with the new social sciences building--a multi-story structure to be built in the next year or two.  The faculty and staff will be somewhere on a high floor with individual offices and a view of Humboldt Bay.  But our classrooms will be in other buildings and not particularly close.  Students will not have a convenient public lounge space as they do now.  They will have to really want to see a professor to schlep up to the new building and climb several floors to see if a particular faculty member is in.  The casual drop-in meetings will become only a dim memory.  I predict our shiny new facilities will be associated with an increase in social alienation and a drop in our current cohesiveness.  Put simply, if you separate students-faculty-staff geographically, you can expect an accompanying increase in social distance and a decrease in sense of community.

While people like Robert Sommers wrote persuasively about the behavioral basis of design, I think our current architects missed such readings.  It seems as if contemporary campus buildings are built primarily with an accountant's perspective.  It's all about dollars and square feet without any sense of the impact on building users when they attempt to pursue their individual objectives in the newly-built space.  Issues of habitability and functionality or behavioral sensitivity don't carry much weight in the training of architects and designers these days.

So my advice would be to think about how the building design supports or elicits desirable behaviors on the part of the students and faculty.  I really think there is quite a bit of truth to the concept of environmental determinism (OK, call it environmental possibilism):  the building design can help to create a sense of community or it can lead to alienation.  Create spaces that bring people together (along with the needed class/staff/lab space needs) and you will have a successful building.

There isn't a whole lot of literature on this topic, but you might look up some of Sommers books, like Personal Space, or Hard Architecture.  For what it's worth, I had an article on this topic in Environment and Behavior.  The reference is:  Campbell, D. E., & Campbell, T. A. (1988).  A new look at informal communication:The role of the physical environment. Environment and Behavior, 20, 211-226.

--Dave

David E. Campbell, Ph.D.        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Psychology        Phone: 707-826-3721
Humboldt State University       FAX:   707-826-4993
Arcata, CA  95521-8299          www.humboldt.edu/~campbell/psyc.htm