I don't know if I'm more amazed at the illusion or that you have students who
voluntarily send you interesting psychology-related things via email!!

Erin K.

>A student forwarded me this "activity" from a friend of his.  I've seen it
before, but I don't recall
>ever having heard an explanation for the phenomenon.  After a little experimentation
(which made
>my dog stare at me quizzically), I verified that it's not true that "there's
nothing you can do about
>it," though I'll admit that it's slightly more challenging than rubbing your
belly while patting your
>head.  The trick seems to be making one of the two movements automatic, but
I'm not sure why
>that's necessary in the first place.  Any thoughts?
>
>Jeff
>
>------- Forwarded message follows -------
>
>Professor Bartel,
>
>  Hi, this is Brian from your M/W/F 12:00 Psych. class. I found a cool left
brain/right brain conflict activity.
>Here it is:
>Left Brain, Right Brain
>While sitting at your desk, lift your right foot off the floor and make clockwise
circles.
>Now, while doing this, draw the number "6" in the air with your right hand.

>Your foot will change direction and there's nothing you can do about it.
>I thought it would be cool to try this and see that there's nothing you can
do about it. Since we've been talking
>about the brain in previous classes, I thought it would be fun to try this
activity.

>See you in class Monday.
>
>------- End of forwarded message -------
>

>--
>Jeffrey Bartel
>Assistant Professor
>Department of Psychology
>Shippensburg University
>jsbart @ wharf.ship.edu / 717.477.1324
>

>Jeff
>
>--
>Jeffrey Bartel
>Assistant Professor
>Department of Psychology
>Shippensburg University
>jsbart @ wharf.ship.edu / 717.477.1324
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to tips as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

*****
Erin A. Kennedy
Department of Psychology
Saint Louis University