Dear Beth and everyone in Tipsville,

Thank you so much. You are right. I am retiring next year... I do plan to have a Psychology Fair this year and it will probably be the last one. I do have several copies of the Psych Fair book, if anyone wants one...I usually give away Beth's books to students who have done well during the school term.  Why not give a book to a person who wins the Award for the person with the Most Questions??

Why not give a book to a person who wins the "The Carl Rogers award (for the student who gave the most UCPR (unconditional positive regard) to classmates)"  or  "Best use of hammer, anvil and stirrups - (student who displays excellent listening skills)"

I also plan to have one hell of a garage sale of all I have accumulated over the years, but that is next year.

I have never met Beth Benoit. And like many of you , I have met her through our correspondence and understand her devotion to teaching.

Beth, I am so humbled by your comments.  I really think that TIPS and PSYCHNEWS have absolutely amounted to the  greatest change in my career as a teacher. There are so many people who ahve helped me be a better teacher! Many of you have been the greatest and best resource for me and my students.  In the past, I would "hunt" for articles and people, now, I just have to  e-mail people.  For example, a few weeks ago my students got through doing a project involving the history and well-known experiments and ideas in Psychology.  So, why not mail Howard Gardner, David Myers, David Rosenhan, and  Linda Bartoshuk?  I can't tell you how nervous I was opening their return letters!!! It was wonderful!!!!

Beth, you have donated so many books, ancillaries, transparencies, and so much more.  I am forever thankful for all you have done. My students are better  because  now they have resources at home--textbooks--that can help them.

I am sorry if this sounds so mushy, but, unless one is a high school teacher, you may not understand the lonely journey of teaching a psychology course with little or no resources. So finding a resource, such as Beth, a person to communicate your frustrations and a person willing to help is like a gift. Beth you are that gift...

Jim

Jim Matiya
Carl Sandburg High School
131st and LaGrange Road
Orland Park, IL 60462

2003 Moffett Memorial (High School Category)

Teaching Excellence Award of the Society for

the Teaching of Psychology (Division Two of the

American Psychological Association

Lewis University. Romeoville, IL
Moraine Valley Comm. College. Palos Hills, IL
Illinois Virtual High School. Cyberspace?
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] >From: Beth Benoit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>Reply-To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>Subject: Matiya's Psych. Fair (was: Skinner's two boxes) >Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:16:37 -0500 > >Thanks for the link, Dennis. I've long been curious about that article. On >seeing "Matiya" in the URL, I figured it was from the webpage of TIPS' own >Jim Matiya, and when I erased the last phrase in the URL, sure enough, it >was from Jim Matiya's page. > >We seem to have many new TIPS members, so I've elected myself to toot Jim's >horn as an award-winning high school psychology teacher. (I don't have to >recuse myself, since I've never actually "met" Jim, and have no agenda >here.) But my primary reason for writing is to suggest, as I have in the >past, that you send extra/leftover psychology books to Jim for him to use as >prizes in his Psychology Fair, which he holds in the spring. Since Jim is >retiring soon, this will probably be the last Psychology Fair at his high >school, unless others are going to carry the banner after he leaves. > >Here's Jim's email address: > [EMAIL PROTECTED] > >And here's his original website with lots of things to interest high school >students (and the rest of us too): > >http://www.d230.org/cs/matiya/ > >Good luck, Jim! Hope you get lots of books! > >Beth Benoit >University System of New Hampshire > >on 3/15/04 8:30 AM, Dennis Goff at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: > > > Here is a link to the Ladies Home Journal story that Skinner wrote. (Baby in a > > Box, October, 1945) > > http://www.d230.org/cs/matiya/new_page_8.htm > > > > Enjoy, > > Dennis > > >--- >You are currently subscribed to tips as: [EMAIL PROTECTED] >To unsubscribe send a blank email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Free up your inbox with MSN Hotmail Extra Storage. Multiple plans available. ---