Well, this was an interesting foray into psych info. (Can anyone tell that I
am avoiding reading papers? I am about 2/3 way through reading 40 times over
and over and over again the same APA lab write-ups at about 12 pages each
......)

It appears that Shaver and Hazan either individually, together or separately
with other co-authors, are responsible for most of the articles published on
adult romantic attachment styles that are more generally theoretical. I only
got 163 hits, with about a dozen dissertations and a whole slew of articles
relating attachment to various disorders (sexually coercive behaviors,
pedophilia, self-esteem, self-defeating personality disorder (?),
homosexuality, jealousy, drinking problems, narcicissism, problems in adult
relationships, relationships with parents, etc.) I include the information
below on the one article that seemed most comprehensive.

Gee, I'd say there's a wide open gap there for some enterprising young
researcher to fill.....interesting that something that I would think would
pique people's interest is so poorly represented in the literature! I'd think
that with an emphasis on life-span development there would be more; I did not
find a single longitudinal study.....??

Annette

Article ID: gpr42132
Title: Adult Romantic Attachment: Theoretical Developments, Emerging
Controversies, and Unanswered Questions
Author(s): R. Chris Fraley Department of Psychology, University of California,
Davis
Phillip R. Shaver Department of Psychology, University of California, Davis
Source: Review of General Psychology. Vol. 4 (2) June 2000, pp. 132-154.
Educational Publishing Foundation
ISSN: 10892680
Digital Object ID: 10.1037//1089-2680.4.2.132
Article Type: Journal Article
Abstract: The authors review the theory of romantic, or pair-bond, attachment
as it was originally formulated by C. Hazan and P. R. Shaver in 1987 and
describe how it has evolved over more than a decade. In addition, they discuss
5 issues related to the theory that need further clarification: (a) the nature
of attachment relationships, (b) the evolution and function of attachment in
adulthood, (c) models of individual differences in attachment, (d) continuity
and change in attachment security, and (e) the integration of attachment, sex,
and caregiving. In discussing these issues, they provide leads for future
research and outline a more complete theory of romantic attachment.
PDF Image: PDF Full Text
Persistent link to this record:  http://0-
search.epnet.com.sally.sandiego.edu:80/direct.asp?an=gpr42132&db=pdh
Database:  PsycARTICLES

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Department of Psychology
University of San Diego