From: Stephen Black [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 11:07 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences
Subject: Wagon-wheel effect and the vibes

I really hate to bring this up because the solution was so elegant,
but I did try to see the wagon-wheel effect outdoors, using an
electric toothbrush vibrator applied to my chin as recommended by Tom
Allaway.

I didn't see it. Perhaps I had the wrong vibes.  I used a Braun
battery-operated toothbrush sans brush, and my overturned bicycle for
the spinning wheel.  I had previously observed the wagon-wheel effect
with my bicycle indoors under fluorescent light. Has anyone else
replicated Tom's observation and, if so, with what equipment?

I'm looking forward to hearing from the empiricists on this list
(surely we have some, don't we?).

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.            tel:  (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Department of Psychology         fax:  (819) 822-9661
Bishop's  University           e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Dept web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
TIPS discussion list for psychology teachers at
 http://faculty.frostburg.edu/psyc/southerly/tips/index.htm