Christopher D. Green wrote:

That said, I think that Gould's book is a good read for students, especially if it is tempered by a more knowledgable, or at least more cautious, lecturer who can use it to teach the difficulties of doing good history *as well as* teaching about the history of intelligence testing.
I would think twice before encouraging my students to read Gould.  As I recall, he made the same mistake Asimov made when venturing into psychology to pass judgment--he criticized topics that he barely understood.  For example, I believe both authors came down hard on intelligence testing while displaying nearly complete ignorance of the research on test theory and measurement validity.  And it bothers me when these authors attack psychologists of the past without being clear that psychology today follows much more rigorous research standards and ethical guidelines.

The same argument can be made against showing "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"--it misrepresents ECT as currently done and encourages students to disparage the discipline they have chosen to major in.

Separately, we should consider a thread on why students are so quick to put down the psychology major as useless.  Even our graduating seniors do this.  (And they are quick to argue that intelligence tests are totally worthless and biased--primarily tools supporting prejudice.  The suggestion that a test is a tool with appropriate and inappropriate uses seems to go nowhere.)

--Dave