Ours moves from active to practically dead - the biggest problem has been trying to find a time that is good for everyone. For speakers, start with people in your department - ask them to come in and talk about their research (it's also a good way to find students who are interested in doing research with you). Then just check around the community - there are often people who really need volunteers who will gladly come in to talk about what they do.
We do 3 activities a year that really try to get the faculty and students together. We have a softball game with cookout (which has been rained out 2x - they went bowling instead), Thanksgiving lunch (everyone brings in a covered dish), and a progressive dinner (students drive from house to house eating salad at one, main meal, dessert, etc.).
For fund raisers, we have a chili cookoff (are you noticing a food theme here?), a t-shirt sale, car wash, that sort of thing. They also sell candy (we have jars with $.25 and $.05 candy in them at the secretary's desk).
Here is there website (they are trying to find someone to maintain the site, so it is out of date).
http://chiron.valdosta.edu/psychclub/psychclub.htm