I teach personality theories, and History and Systems, as well as Intro.  Freud takes a large amount of the intro section.  Apparently psychoanalysis is a major  movement or perspective influencing academic psychologists according to these texts--along with behavioral, cognitive, humanistic, and now, cultural psychology views.  The origin myths perpetuated on psych students since the 60s with regard to Freud's courageous efforts to reveal unconscious dynamics,  and his clever case studies, remain part of several classes that psych students take.   In personality, of course, I have a whole section on psychoanalytic approaches that rests largely on ideas from the master.  In history and systems there are chapters usually devoted just to psychoanalysis...sometimes repeating the origin myths that Allan discusses.  In Morton Hunt's popular tome on "The Story of Psychology," Freud is chapter seven titled "The Explorer of the Depths" and Hunt, of course, refers to Freud as a __psychologist__ shaping psychology.  It is noted, "Most historians of psychology credit Freud with a long string of influential discoveries, most noteworthy being that of the dynamic unconscious." (P.167)  Clearly Freud is considered no mere blip on the historical--American psychology scene.  That psychologists should have better coverage of the historical development of his ideas than they obviously do, is something I assume many of us here would not quarrel over.  I find it amazing that anyone familiar with the usual undergrad curriculum could deny the coverage that American psychologists seem to provide--whether blindly repeating myths and misconceptions or even actively trying to carve out a place for Freud in current conceptions of neuroscience and cognition.  Some quick thoughts on the way to class....Gary Peterson

Gerald L. (Gary) Peterson, Ph.D.
Professor, Psychology
Saginaw Valley State University
University Center, MI 48710