Hi All,

I've gone to using quizzes in each class to try to get students to keep up with the
reading and prepare them for exams. But grades on the first exam especially are often
low. I dislike extra credit because I find students often do it at the expense of
keeping up with the regular classwork (that is instead of reading/studying the
chapters we are currently on, they are putting their time into the extra credit), thus
their next grades are low too. Sometimes I have offered to downweight the first exam
score of students who do better on the next exam (for example, if the first exam was
worth 20% of the final grade, I might offer to cut it's weigth to 15% or 10% if the
student's second grade improves by 20 points and give the weight to the second exam).
I hope this encourages them to change their habits for the next exam.

Vinny

Vincent Prohaska, Ph.D.

Associate Professor, Lehman College, City University of New York

Eastern Region Vice President, Psi Chi,
          The National Honor Society in Psychology

Department of Psychology
Lehman College
Bronx,  NY  10468-1589

718-960-8776