My understanding is that Rorschach did indeed select cards that seemed to do a
decent job of distinguishing schizophrenic (or perhaps more broadly psychotic)
individuals from non-schizophrenic individuals.  So Christopher Green is
correct that at least some of Rorschach stimuli were selected empirically.
Nevertheless, I am not aware of much evidence that many of the original
Rorschach scores (indices) themselves were selected empirically, as that's
another matter.  ...Scott