Doug Peterson wrote
"I have made one similar deal involving grading of essay tests: "If I don't
have your essay exams returned within one week you all get 5 extra points"
(which in 7 years of teaching I've never had to do!)  This however leads me to
ask others the following: Is it necessary or desirable to let students know
about reasons for what might appear to less than professional behavior?"

On the one hand, I have no problems explaining to students why something
happened. I think it humanizes me in their eyes. But on the other hand, I can't
imagine something like tending to a sick child (the night before I'm due to
hand back exams) causing me to miss a deadline.

I'm forever warning my students that you NEVER put off studying or completing
an assignment until the night  before it's due because one of the few verities
of life is that "S**t Happens!"  I think you're setting a horrendous example by
validating their tendency to leave the completion of a task to the last minute.
Admittedly, I'm compulsive about such things and have a recurring nightmare
about being late or otherwise unprepared for an exam.  Of course, thyis is the
guy who taught two classes while having a heart attack because we had an exam
coming up and I had to get through the material!!!!  (I sid I was
compulsive...... not bright!)  But in all fairness, I wasn't certain at the
time that it was really a heart attack. :-o

Ed

Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D.
Dept. of Psychology, West Chester University of Pennsylvania
Office: Peoples Building Room 44
Office Phone: 610-436-3151; Home phone: 610-363-1939
Office Hours: Mondays noon-2 & 3-4 p.m.; Tuesdays & Thursdays 8-9:15 & 12:30-2
p.m.
Home Page: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/epollak/home.htm