Sorry I have not been following this whole thread, but I recall many years ago (30!) in California hiring a young man and informing him that he got the job. The university president, however, reversed the departmental decision because he had learned that the man was "a political activist." (Protests brought no change in that fiat.) The phenomenon is not new, of course, but the intensity of it at this point in history seems to be unprecedented.

My take is that this will, for the foreseeable future, be an issue that will operate, but under the table. It will be similar to the veiled approach to illegal questions that we women still get, designed to elicit information about the extent of our duties at home, especially with regards to child care.

Patricia Keith-Spiegel

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 5:58 AM
Subject: RE: Yet another criminal liberal social science professor

The Times article mentions a desire to remove political considerations
for hiring and personnel decisions.  I'm just curious: I've interviewed
for several jobs, and haven't ever had my political orientation
questioned.  I'm wondering exactly where political considerations enter
into hiring decisions -- does anyone out there have any experience with
this?

Thanks,

-- Marc Carter Baker University Department of Psychology Assistant Professor, Itinerant Scientist, Inveterate Skeptic, Former Surfer. --- The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little. ----- Franklin Roosevelt -----Original Message----- From: Al Shealy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 10:46 PM To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences Subject: Yet another criminal liberal social science professor

I'll bet he was on his way to a peace rally with Kerri Dunn and Maria
Spero.

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040918/LOCAL/409
18010/1078

"Politics in Gainesville turned rough and tumble Thursday night when, police say, a social behavior sciences instructor - a Democrat - punched the chairman of the Alachua County Republican Executive Committee in the face.

David Philip McCally, 55, of Gainesville faces misdemeanor battery and
criminal mischief charges after he was accused of hitting both committee
chairman Travis Horn, 32, and a life-sized, cardboard cutout of
President George Bush.

After hitting the cutout, Horn said McCally left the office where a
Young Republicans meeting was taking place. When Horn went outside, he
said McCally came up to him. "He proceeded to say how he had a Ph.D.,
and he was smarter than me. I'm a stupid Republican," and other comments
laced with obscenities, he said."

Gee, this article makes me glad I have a job, but afraid I'll be
physically attacked. What would you do?

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/18/education/18faculty.html?oref=login

---
You are currently subscribed to tips as: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To
unsubscribe send a blank email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]